Friday, May 27, 2011

Silver Shatters Compete! Sally Hansen Fractured Foil vs. OPI Silver Shatter

So I caved.....  I saw OPI Silver Shatter at my Ulta and I got it.

Cosmetic:

First off I have to say that I initially wasn't impressed with the Sally Hansen Crackle, but after playing with it a bit I find that if I do a thin coat that I get my desired effect.  So I take back what I said in my last post.

Secondly, there are a few tricks in applying a crackle topcoat.  I have three pointers that I found to be very helpful.
First:  If the coat is too thick then the polish won't crackle as much.  Try a thin layer and if you want to build up color, add another thing layer and it should crack in all the same places. 

Second:  Cracks form on the thinner areas of polish.  I find that if I brush through the polish again (after the initial coat while it is still wet) that it will catch on the brush and leae little bald spots.  These then make bigger cracks.  If you want more horizontal cracks, try to brush over the polish again starting halfway up the nail to the tip right after the initial application.

Sound confusing?  Think of it as if you were applying mascara to your lashes.  The first sweep is from root to tip, the second sweep is from the middle of your lashes to the tip.  Same concept here except you don't reload the brush with polish.

Third:  These topcoats shatter best when used over a shiny polish.  If the polish you're using has a matte, suede or buffed finish then it might not crack as well.  I find it a lot more difficult to use these with my matte polishes.  

If you want to use this with a matte polish, I found that they work better if you don't let the polish underneath dry completely.

I hope these tips are useful and will help you get good results.

Now onto the battle!

First category: Price! - Now OPI averages for about $8.50 at most retailers.  You can find some for less than that but that's usually the going price.  This isn't too bad since this polish is priced the same as the other polishes so you're less likely to get sticker shocked like with the DS collection.

Sally Hansen has products averaging about $5 a bottle.  Sometimes less, sometimes more.  The crackle is priced at $7 which is above the average cost of their nail polishes and it seems pretty high for me as a drug store brand.  For $1.50 more I would personally splurge on the OPI.

Second Category: Formula! - OPI's formula is in my opinion pretty close to their regular nail polishes.  It's slightly thick, but spreads evenly.  I don't notice this being any thinner or thicker.

Sally Hansen nail polish formulas run thin in my opinion, except for their Fast Dry line which is pretty thick.  This crackle polish is runny and thin and I found it was easier to apply lightly in regards to formula.

Third Category: Application! - OPI has a pro-wide brush that allows for a one stroke application on most of my nails.  Only problem with that is when I am looking to make a thin coat, I tend to have too much polish on the brush (especially on my pinkies).  But the brush makes application very easy for the other nails.

Many have complained, and I will add to it.  Why is the brush so thin?  Seriously, it's hard to get enough polish on the brush to do the bigger nails and it makes it harder to do a few thin sweeps and have the entire nail covered.  However, I had no problem doing my pinkies.  But I found the thin brush to be frustrating in the beginning.  Once you play with it, the application becomes better but they really need a wider brush.

Fourth Category: Packaging! - OPI has standard packaging for the Silver Shatter.  There might be a tag attached to the neck of the bottle but overall it's the same as regular OPI bottle.

Sally Hansen has a thin rectangular bottle with a concave curved handle that tapers towards the bottle.  It's a very pretty bottle and easy to fit into slim places.  I like this look very much and I love how Sally Hansen distinguishes the different lines with different bottles.

Fifth Category: Color! - Now what would be the point to all of this if I didn't note color?  OPI Silver Shatter is a darker silver, and gives off a more oxidized/pewter color in comparison.

Sally Hansen Crackle is a brighter, lighter silver that looks more white gold/platinum.  If you're wondering whether or not you really need two silvers, you do!  These are different silvers indeed.
Overall:  If you're looking for a reliable darker silver color that doesn't have too thin of a consistancy and has an easy to apply wider brush, then I would go for OPI Silver Shatter.

If you want a lighter flashier silver color with a thin formula and prefer a thinner brush then go for the Fractured Foil.

Now for comparison pictures.
These are the two bottles together, you can see the difference in color.


Now here I have them layered over a dark blue.  The two swatches on the left are OPI and the swatch on the far right is Sally Hansen.

w/ flash


w/o flash

And here you can see the difference on my nail.  The index finger has Fractured Foil on and the middle finger has Silver Shatter.

So here are my OPI ratings:

Value : 3 - I think all OPI polishes are too expensive, even if it's a salon brand.  So the price is only average to me....

Ease of Use : 5 - This polish was so easy to use and I got great results.  I'm very happy with this polish.
Quality : 4 - I only give a 4 because OPI is not my favorite formula out there.  I actually love China Glaze's formula much more.  But this isn't bad mind you, just not the best for me.  If you like OPI's formula then you'll like this polish. 

Overall : 4 - I'm very glad I got this polish, albeit I'm genetically a cheapo and would have preferred it to not cost so much.  Can you imagine how many pork buns I could have bought for $8.50?  But what can you do?  I do like that the color is darker since I feel it's more appropriate with the Pirates of the Caribbean theme and it's not super flashy so I won't feel so bad when I wear it to work.

And my Sally Hansen ratings: 

Value : 2.5 - Again, I'm a cheapo.  I just feel that $7 is too much for me to be paying for a drugstore brand crackle polish.  I don't mind paying higher for their complete manicure line since it's all the steps in one bottle.  Even the nail strips I can buy at around $10 without wincing because of it's ease and the compliments I get.  But $7 for a topcoat is too much in my book.  You can disagree with me but I don't intend on getting any other colors unless they're on sale.

Ease of Use : 3 - It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it, but you have to first get the hang of it.  I really think they should have put a thicker brush on these like they did with the Fast Dry polish.  The key to this polish working is to apply it quickly, and the brush doesn't let you do that.

Quality : 4 - I like Sally Hansen polishes a lot and for a drugstore brand their quality is good.  The formula for this polish is thinner and the color seems less pigmented when compared to the OPI, but I basically got the same results with both polishes so as far as quality is concered, it's up to par.

Overall : 3.2 - I like this product but I will not buy it again at this price.  Very similar to how I like tacos from taco trucks but will not pay over a dollar for them.  I just don't think they are worth that much.  And although I do like both this polish and tacos, my bugdet won't allow me to overpay.

Confection:
 
And now for a Friday treat! 
I hope everyone is planning to have a great long weekend!  I'm working, which sucks, but at least it's not all day long.  So I celebrated the coming of the weekend with a treat that is either so right or so very wrong.  You decide..... 

bacon peanut brittle

Yes, the whole world has gone to bacon.  I have yet to perfect my bacon brittle recipe and with each attempt I bring myself closer to a heart attack.  I have to say though, this is pretty good.  My one complaint is that there is too much bacon.  I know I'm crazy right?  

Anyways, have a safe weekend and watch out for zombies.





No comments:

Post a Comment